Monday, September 17, 2007

Update #42

From Nick’s dad, Dwight:

Miracles: What are they? Webster says this: A highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.

I say that a miracle could be as small as a slice of bread with peanut butter falling off the counter landing peanut butter up. Or as ginormus as some one’s life being blatantly spared when there was virtually no chance. We have all witnessed the latter with my son Nicholas.

We went from saying “Goodbye” to him; to now laughing with him and witnessing his miraculous recovery -I feel truly blessed to be part of it. Why God has chosen our family for this testimony I don’t exactly know, but I’m beginning to say, “Why NOT?”

You see, I personally struggle with feeling worthy of God’s love, but what I’ve seen in our church and family and from people we don’t even know, I can now say I feel “completely soaked” with God’s love. “Thank you all” to everyone for the love, prayers, and financial support. Thank you for being the messengers of God’s love to me and my family.

Words will never do justice to the gratitude we feel. Although the struggles are not over, I am surely convinced that God continues to have great plans for me and my family through this. I truly feel blessed to be a witness to such an amazing miracle.

Nick has been home a week now. As you can imagine we are happy to have him home. The adjustment process is settling in and just the depth of what he has been through. As Nick’s Dad, we enjoyed many outdoor activities together. I’m finding it very hard to grieve the loss of that part of my relationship with my son. I’m not saying I can never enjoy some of those things again, because I don’t know that, it’s just different now. What truly does make it easier is his spirit. He has been blessed with a lightheartedness and humor that is so amazing to me. It really helps me when I start to feel overwhelmed by seeing him struggle physically; as much as I deeply love our “new Nick,” I so miss the “old” one.

Some of his adjustments at home are things you would normally take for granted. Like being able to get up to get a drink or pick something up off the floor that you have dropped, or fix yourself something to eat. The adjustments we pray will be less and less as Nick gets stronger, but for now we all help him with his daily needs.

The East County Posse is remodeling the bathroom to be more accessible. They are widening some doorways and building ramps for easier access in and out of the house. What a blessing this group has been to us. Thanks so much to them!

Nick continues to get stronger, but it is very slow going. He can’t wait to get back to school. He starts today. He’ll be going for about 3 hours a day to start with and hopes to get to a full day A.S.A.P., although his Mom and I don’t see how that will work with all of his therapies.

Lisa and I are continuing to research what “other” therapies are out there for Nick that are “outside the box of medical protocol.” We are learning a lot. We will be getting a consultation at a renowned stroke clinic in Mission Viejo some time in the next couple weeks. We’ll keep you posted. The problem we’ll have with “alternative” therapies is that insurance will not cover them, so we are looking into fund raising strategies. A great friend from church, whose wife and him have been a great help to us with organizing meals and help at the house, is working on a golf tournament in January. Thanks so much Bob!

I apologize for being somewhat silent through all this turmoil of events, I just don’t articulate my thoughts and feelings very well. It takes a while to sort things out, especially when you are in survival mode. I do just want to reiterate my deepest thanks to everyone for all the help with gas cards, grocery cards, money, dinners, prayers, childcare and visitations. We would have sunk without them.

In closing, as we get into this part of Nick’s recovery we continue to ask for prayers of strength and wisdom. And as we let God help us to figure out our “New” life, and make choices to help further Nick’s recovery.

In the God we Trust,

Dwight

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dwight and Lisa....Nick, DJ, Mandy, Connor....We are so grateful for these postings: to be able to stay close even when we aren't together, and to know specifically what to pray for. You guys have always been special to us--know that you are always in our prayers. God is in control!
Love you, Ed, Debby and clan

Anonymous said...

We have been praying all along for you and your wife andyour children, as well as for Nick. It is a blessing for others to see the love and trust you have in God, even with the struggles. Strength and wisdom are wonderful things to pray for and to blessed with.
May Gods' blessings cheer your days!
Laurie Bowman and family
(El Cajon Church of Christ)

Anonymous said...

You and your family are an inspiration to us all. Wow! It's been so encouraging to witness God's mighty work in your family. What strong faith you've proven. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

It was great to see Nick today! Wow, seeing him made my day. :)
Words cant describe how happy i was too see him doing well!
Love you nick!
_vanessa markous[[: