Friday, May 11, 2007

Update #11

The doctors think the brain's swelling has run its course. They're also concerned about infection and organ damage with the prolonged coma. So they're starting to take Nick out of his coma. They said it will take about 7 days for the coma-inducing medication to fully leave his system. So by next Friday or so, they should be able to get a good read on his status.

Of course, Dwight and Lisa are very apprehensive, since they're now closer to knowing just how much (or little) Nick was impacted by the stroke.

They did have an encouraging talk with another doctor today who said they were fortunate to be in one of maybe 3 pediatric hospitals in the country that would be so aggressive with Nick's situation. He said most would just wait and see how he did after the stroke, and never would of done the initial, risky surgery and other things they've done.

Let's pray this boy through the next week, huh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, family. You are in our prayers and we have an amazing God who already knows the end of the story.

Anonymous said...

You are all in our prayers. Keep the faith!!!!!
Tom, Mary, Dylan and Ashley Scott

Anonymous said...

Nick- I can't wait until you come out of coma! We are going to have a party just like I told you. And I'm going to kiss you on the forhead like i did when you were little...and I don't care how much you wince and whine :)
-Brianna

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us posted with these updates...Nick and all the family are in prayer at our house and across the nation. There are Bible study groups, prayer partners and churches keeping Nick in prayer...and prayer is powerful!
We love you Brinkerhoffs!
Ed, Debby, Danny, Michael, Nate and Erinn.

Anonymous said...

hey nick!!!! u gotta hang in there people miss you soooooo much and I know I haven't known you very long but I miss you too!!! so I can't wait till you come out!! you are needed at L.F.C.S.!!!
love always,
griselda macias
p.s. when you come out i'm gonna give you your nickel!!

Anonymous said...

Nick, you are in my prayers and I cant wait to see your smiling face again. I know that you are going to come out and soon after be able to play. I miss you, buddy!

Come back soon! ;]