Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Update #22

It’s been a real roller coaster with Nick the last few days. Some good and some items of concern.

He is still in the coma. BUT he’s showing signs of trying to come out of it. More on that later.

Last night was rough, as they tried to wean him off the ventilator. In that process he stopped breathing three times. Pretty touch and go. But today he seems to be breathing more on his own. Hopefully that will continue to improve as he gets his strength back.

At 9am today the nurse noticed that his pupils were two different sizes - not a good sign. They continued to change sizes, sometimes the same size and sometimes different. But they weren’t that concerned because his other vitals and such looked good.

So they did a CT scan today to see how it looked inside. They said nothing has changed, which, at this point, is good, since they could deteriorate.

On Friday they did an electrical current test, which checks the nerve highways to the four extremities. The two arms and right leg seemed fine! But there are some blocks to his left leg. They will keep watch on that closely.

His white blood count is coming back to a safer range.

But, even though he’s still in a coma, and his muscles are having a hard time because they’re so atrophied, there are some slight, subtle signs that show that this boy is fighting!

His pupils, in the very slightest sense, seem to be tracking movement in the room. As someone walks they seem to be following, ever so subtlety.

Also, the audiologist says that Nick’s hearing is working, though it’s delayed. So he is hearing something.

The doctors are convinced that “he is there” and trying to come out of his shell, so to speak.

While this is encouraging news, there is still a loooong way to go. The doctors said this process – of coming out of the coma, getting his muscles to work again, rehab, etc. – is not like a light switch but more like a dimmer switch.

Good thing we know the Light of the World.


6 comments:

mensakitty said...

Well, I certainly do hope things get better for Nick! He has come a long way from when he first entered the hospital, I hope he continues to get better. n_n
If anyone can relay a message to his parents... My mom is a speech language psychiatrist, and may be able to help Nick with his speech if he needs speech therapy. Just a bit of a helping hand when he makes it out. :)

Anonymous said...

hay we all love nick sooooooooooooo much and we hope returns asap . we hope he is doing better .nick your in our PRAYERS


- daegan and kaitlyn

Anonymous said...

well nick, i believe that you'll make it through and that all those bad things that happened will go fast. I miss you!! All my prayers are to you nick!!! luvs yas!!

Anonymous said...

Nick- Whenever I start to feel a little discouraged or impatient over you condition, I blast Audio Adrenaline's song "Underdog" in my car. Immediately I am reminded that God has everything undercontrol and even though I am helpless, thats okay because He's got it covered. Here are the lyrics to that song:

I am so weak and I'm so tired, Its hard for me to/ Find enough strength to feed the fires/ That fuel my ego/ And consequently all my pride has up and died which leads me/ Down on my knees back to the place I should have started from

Been beat up/ Been broken down/ no where but up when your face down on the ground/ I'm in last place, if I place at all/ BUT THERE'S HOPE FOR THIS UNDERDOG!

I'm in this race to win a prize/ The odds against me/ The world has plans for my demise/ But what they don't see/ Is that the winner is not judged by his small size but by the subistitute he picks to run the race AND MINE'S ALREADY WON!!!

I love you Nick. Now that we are all fighting with you and Jesus is fighting for us all
-Brianna

Anonymous said...

Nick,
Everyday are thoughts are with you, May you be feeling better soon.. Hang in there Bud!!
"The strongest of all warriors are these two -Time and Patience."
Jeff Lori
&
Family

Anonymous said...

hey nick
We all miss you and pray for you to get back on your feet!!!

xoxo
Sarah